Friday, May 30, 2008

A leave recap.

This post is going to be a recap of the my leave, so start your coffee machine and snuggle up for a great time. (Hold on, I need to start my coffee.) The Tuesday before I went on leave, I found out that my dad's uncle passed away from cancer. They found it 11 days before that. He was a 2 Bronze Star winner fo his efforts in Vietnam while in the Navy. My leave did not official start until the 7th but I did not leave England until the 11th hour of the day. The 1st flight seemed short because I slept during most of the flight. After a long delay at JFK in New York, I had to change my route because my Chicago flight slipped 55 mins. SO American sent me to DFW and I would then be 2hrs late to Omaha. My original flight from ORD was only 3 mins before me so it was easy getting my bags. My bags had to continue the original trip because the rest of my flights were domestic. My dad would drive home and I would be in Kearney Nebraska at 0300 on the 8th of May.

I would drive back to Omaha the next day to see a friend in Lincoln and also try to found Gore-tex to my new uniform. This was not the plan but since my dad's uncle funeral was on Friday, I decided to not go to ISU for graduation and stay home. Friday was the funeral and I did see lots of family that I would not normal have seen. It was a good time and people enjoyed seeing my in my semi-formal uniform. One should also look really good when a brother in the Armed Services has fallen. We are told in Basic Training that we the current Military represent the members from the past that served.

The next week would be uneventful besides the vast amount of disc golf I would play. I would see my only living grandpa at a nursing home in McCook, Ne and also see some cousins and my grandma. He was really excited to see me. That seemed the tone of the leave so far was the fact that people saw me and were happy. My grandfather was a WWII vet that served in the South Pacific in the US Army. That would make me the 3rd generation that served in the military (my dad was in the Coast Guard).

On the Saturday the 17th, I would travel to Wamego, KS to see more of my dad's side of the family. It was another chance to see some family and talk since I will not see them for a while. I also played Roper which is a long wide open disc golf course. shot 4 over missing a lot of my putts that I would normal make.

The 18th was my sis's graduation and then I left on the 19th for Champaign, IL. That would be a 17hrs of pain. I drive for 7 hrs to get to OKC then another 10hrs with Kyle and Doug to get to Champaign. Another uneventful week happened until Thursday when the guys in the wedding went to Indiana Jones and then watch Brain Regan. Friday was Wedding Rehearsal then Saturday was Kyle and Betsy's wedding day. Sunday was kind fun but I did get a chance to play disc golf with Joe. Monday, Sarah, Doug and I went back to Oklahoma. Monday saw some friends and then left at 0600 from Will Rogers Airport. Landed a little late at Stansted because of a light lens problem. SO I had to wait an extra 2 hrs for the next bus. I arrived at final destination around noon.

Later Mike.

----------------
Listening to: Scott Krippayne - I'm Not Cool
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is always welcome. All I do ask that it does not profanity. As administer of the blog, I have the right to delete all comments that I feel are not in good taste.