Sunday, March 16, 2008

The best quote yet.

I was talking to my Mormon friend's wife about grace. This was a concept that she found hard to fully understand. It started after a talk about the short comings the Catholic church has. She asked me if I believe that there is one true church on earth. I said yea, the body of Christ. Well, she wanted an actually church name, looking for me to say some Protestant church. She found an article talking about the Mormon church and how it the "ONE TRUE CHURCH OF OUR LORD A SAVIOR!" (really loud like a bullhorn). In this lame article, it says, "They are not needed even now (apostles, prophets, and current revelation), it is said by those who claim that the Bible contains the full word of God. This is a sad evidence of the spiritual darkness that came into the world." The whole article is here on the LDS.org website. According to my Mormon friend, the world needs revelation from a prophet to run right. I guess the Holy Spirit can not do it by himself. My question is wonder why did Paul write to Timothy in his 2nd letter chapter 3 verse 16-17, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." What about 2 Peter 1:20-21, "Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." I think that the spirit can do it by itself. One reason why Mormon's believe that they need prophets now is because that is how God did it before Christ. He also did it John for Revelation. From what I have read, God's Spirit was the one talking through one man to a group. Who would I need someone man to tell me what I can and cannot do when the God-man told me everything I need to know to get to heaven? There is much more for me to learn before I give a full rebuke of the text that I read from the true living Word of God.