Friday, September 25, 2009

Has Calvinism Merged with the World.

I was reading an article from the Metropolitan Tabernacle's Sword and Trowel. Dr. Masters was talking about conferences and preachers in America that have seemed to merge Calvinism and the world together. Some on the names that are mention are people like John Piper, John MacArthur, Joshua Harris, C.J. Mahaney. As I read his review what the new Calvinist are doing here in the America, I see what he is talking about. The American church in general has embrace the world and accepted some of the culture that the world enjoys. I want to deal with music, and how we have lost the reverance for the Lord. I have been to the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London and have experience how Dr. Master has set up worship in the church. It is not like any American church, in fact, I do not think that you will find a church like that in America. The service was refreshing and simple. There was nothing special. The music was old hymns and an organ.

What Dr. Master is talking about is has the new Calvinist embraced the world to much. He uses an example of when a rapper made Curtis Allen was saved, he stop rapping but Joshua Harris convinced him to continue rapping but for Christ. Dr. Masters has a believe that we should not be do anything that resembles the world in our church or conferences.

I would agree that our churches have become less reverent for the Lord and that Christians are looking for like the world. I also think that some things like Christian rap is not bad as long as Christ is preached. He also states that we use the worldly things to attract the world to church, which I also think is wrong. If I want to attend a concert, I will go to a concert. When I want to attend church, I do not want to attend a concert with preaching. Can Christian rap have a place in a Christian life> I would say yes when working out or when you are at home and want to listen to music but not in church.

I do think the assessment of the new Calvinism is a valid assessment. Dr Masters is noticing that the New Calvinist are not following the standard Calvinist thinking by allowing the world to influence the church.

You can read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is always welcome. All I do ask that it does not profanity. As administer of the blog, I have the right to delete all comments that I feel are not in good taste.