Monday, February 8, 2010

John 4

One of my classes in on the Gospel of John. I have been learn a lot about who John is and also what he is trying to prove with signs that Jesus is Christ so people will believe. My assignment for tomorrow is John 4. I also have to read a commentary called Encountering John by Andreas J. Köstenberger. One thing that cought my attention is the fact that when Jesus tells his disciples that the harvest is ready when they brought him food in v. 31-38. Jesus is telling that the harvest ready to be saved and brought into a relationship with Jesus. John the Baptist did the sewing and now Jesus' Dicipiles need to reap the ready crop. Not only that, Jesus also states that, "Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonder, ... you will never believe." (v. 48 NIV) Köstenberger says that verse is telling that sign will not save people and that it is God alone who bring people to him. I hurt to think that our evangelism has missed this point when we reduced the gospel to say this prayer and you are saved. If a person wants to pray for salvation with me I will allow him, but I encourage them to make sure I am right. This also allows God to save them with out me taking the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is always welcome. All I do ask that it does not profanity. As administer of the blog, I have the right to delete all comments that I feel are not in good taste.